The Matrix Online Server Emulator

Full Version: So... Shards Online
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a small proposal. If you have no knowledge of Shards Online, take a few minutes to read through the Kickstarter page and then come back.

http://www.shardsonline.com

I've been following development for a few months now and have backed the KS project, though it's looking like they most likely won't make their goal in the remaining week. But they have a playable pre-alpha build and have invited some backers to play in some private events. The KS project exists to get extra funding to move development along quicker, but it looks like the game will be made whether or not the goal is met.

So I have some ideas of running a Matrix-themed cluster (multiple shards connected together) and wanted to gauge interest if anyone here would want to help out. Yes, this will be possible. No, it will not be a perfect re-creation of MxO.

The plan would be to bring back the live events of MxO's glory days. Creating a persistent world with an ongoing story as told through in-game events, allowing players to interact with live characters.

For those who may not remember me from MxO, I don't blame you. I tended to keep my head down in the game, but I was somewhat vocal on the DN1 forums. I was a long-time member of The Furious Angels, though that may detract from my credibility for a few people. :P At any rate, I've been a strong Matrix fan since 1999. I know the lore backwards and forwards.

I'd like to make a website with ARG elements and puzzles. I'd like a forum for out-of-game communication. I'd like to bring back The Sentinel and keep it regularly updated as events unfold. I'd like to have a small-ish team of die-hard fans who know the source material enough to pull this off credibly.

I have a strong background in photoshop, writing and web design. I'm currently learning Lua Script in preparation for Shards modding. But I know I won't be able to, or even want to, do this all myself. At least not at the scale that I'd like to see. So if this sounds like something you wnt to get behind and contribute to, feel free to say so here. If there is enough interest, I'll set us up with our own environment to discuss future plans.

Thanks for your time.
Site's down, buddy.
Derp. Should work now.
Can you import custom models/code ? otherwise it will always just be fantasy themed.
(06-06-2014, 05:34 PM)rajkosto Wrote: [ -> ]Can you import custom models/code ? otherwise it will always just be fantasy themed.

The ultimate goal for the game is for it to be entirely moddable. So yes, importing models and objects is part of the design plan, though the tech to do it may not be there at launch.

In my talks with the devs, every question of "Will I be able to do X?" has been answered with "Yes."