The Matrix Online Server Emulator

Full Version: Fundraising idea - kickstarter
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If you're looking for a good way to get some cash help, kickstarter would be a great idea. People have earned millions for projects for anime, solar tech, books, clothes and even video games. Definitely worth looking into if you could use some extra help with this project.

I told people I wanted some extra cash to help buy a pen and ended up getting a total of 50 bucks out of it.
Not American.
And not legal.
What about an effort to raise funds to try to purchase the source code?
It's been re-written from scratch by Rajkosto already Phevr.
I wasn't actually serious about that.
But it's going. If you hung around in IRC you could catch me streaming my desktop when working too.
Are you the only one working on rebuilding it?
Everybody else is busy, apparently.
The mention of Kickstarter or crowd funding in general got me thinking. I can understand the whole legal issue regarding Kickstarter and trying to purchase the MXO source code, but what about using crowd funding to fund a whole new game that is inspired and contents elements of MXO without being directly related to The Matrix universes?.

Granted money itself won't make a game as obviously you need software developers, graphic artists etc, but if a group of people with those skills and interest in MMO's could be brought together then using say Kickstarter to fund the project I think it could work.

I'll admit that I haven't really played an MMO since MXO closed, so apart from maybe one or two games I don't really know what's out there or what is in development, but imagine this..........

An MMO in a real world type setting that features both weapon and hand to hand combat.

An MMO where you can "upload" and "download" abilities on the fly.

An MMO that features live events and makes you part of the ongoing storyline.

Basically a Cyberpunk MMO that is inspired by The Matrix. Does anyone fancy getting together and tossing a few ideas about to see if it's feasible?
I think that you've got a great idea there. From the first matrix movie, Agent Smith said that there was a problem with the first matrix and that it had to be rebuilt.

A cyberpunk MMO would be fantastic. That is a great idea.

Setting would be something like Megacity, with a giant corporate presence as well as many poor sectors and gang territories. The factions would need to be renamed but could be similar. Hacking would stay a major part of the game, intertwined with combat too.

I think a live events team would be a great addition too. As part of an ongoing story, having a group of devs that are fully committed to the community and the game would really build that strong community back up.

While it may not end up being the highest quality graphics, I don't think that would matter right away. Most people prefer a game that is fun over one with good graphics anyway, like minecraft.

I definitely think this idea would work, the hardest part of it is going to be finding the people to commit the time to it. I would be extremely interested in helping a project like this along.
This has been discussed before, use the search function. Kickstarter is not free money they way you think it is.
Pages: 1 2