The Matrix Online Server Emulator

Full Version: Greatings and Some Questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First, Hello all my name is GI_Jack. I'm many things, but first and foremost, fan of the movies.(I actually liked the entire trilogy).

Second, I never played the game when it was online, but my roomate can't shut up about it, and while I never got to play the game while it was online.

So I found this site, and its still active, it peaks my interest. I told my roomate I'd run a server if he finds the source code.

We are both active in the hacker community.

So, a few questions.

1. What are the system requirements for running a client/server?

2. what is the official link for downloading the client/server?

3. Where is the source code for both?(I presume these are FOSS, if not you should definately look into this).

I think most importantly, if you really want to move forward, does the server run on GNU/Linux. And if it does, how easily is it packaged, and does it have appropriate systemd/init/openrc/upstart units, and how well does it do stuff like logging. Linux server support is essential, as Linux is the de-facto server OS, and by far the best production OS except in very limited edge case scenarios.

Targeting linux should do the major workhorse server distros like Ubuntu-Server, Debian, and CentOS/RHEL.(i.e. compile against libs found on these distros)

If it is running linux, is it multi-threaded, and how well can the server scale?

I am asking, because I am a sysadmin by trade, and I have my own assets, and I'd like to run a server. Hardware these days is cheap. Dell powerdege servers are a dime a dozen, and parts are very reasonably priced.

Anyways,

GI Jack
Get out of here, Richard Stallman.
Let me know when he finds the source code, I'd like some of that.

EDIT: I can't tell if this post is serious or satire ("We are both active in the hacker community.", "GNU/Linux", "FOSS"), please help.
(21-02-2017, 07:19 PM)rajkosto Wrote: [ -> ]EDIT: I can't tell if this post is serious or satire ("We are both active in the hacker community.", "GNU/Linux", "FOSS"), please help.

Welp, I take it you don't know shit about infrastructure and your knowledge of computers starts and stops with consumer desktops(the only platform where FOSS isn't serious and Linux doesn't dominate). You're going places, let me yell you.

You want people to take a community project seriously, people offer serious hosted resources(got Dell HW sitting right here in my living room), and then you laugh at them. There are standards for serious community projects, and you're obviously clueless.
Ok. I don't need any Dell HW right now, thanks.

Code:
processor       : 3
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 58
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1245 V2 @ 3.40GHz

EDIT: Your posts still read like a "FOSS" troll, btw, maybe you should work on that before assuming things. It would also have helped if you did some research before (like asking if the client is open source is ridiculous)