The Matrix Online Server Emulator

Full Version: SOE on MXO
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
(14-12-2010, 08:00 PM)bitbomb Wrote: [ -> ]I think it's important to keep in mind that commercial games are not a public service.

Agreed, it should be kept in mind that SOE and WB are a business, and thus their primary goal is to make money. Apparently MxO wasn't making enough money, so they closed it down.

Did they screw us all over in the process? Yes, but that's just bad business.

If you really want to send a message to SOE, then don't buy anymore of their product, or Sony products.
Free Realms is free
Everquest II is free
PoxNora is free
Infantry is free

now they have P2P:
Star Wars Galaxies
Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game
Vanguard
Pirates of the Burning Sea
Planet Side
and some more I can't remember

And they had to close MxO down? C'mon!
SOE just makes bad choices in my opinion
But if you look at the states of those other games compared to the state of MxO near the end, you'll see that they actually had support of some measure.

Also, once again, SOE would have had to pay intellectual property rights for MxO and they simply couldn't afford it.

I'm as big an SOE hater as anyone else around here, but they purposefully drove MxO in to the ground, pretty much from the minute it touched their grubby little hands.

So why would they bother investing in the step child they wanted nothing to do with?

Plus, the game NEVER did as well as was projected. Not even from the beginning.

Also, how bad of business is it to shut MxO down and shut out the 200-300 people actually playing it? 2-300 people aren't going to cause even a hiccup in SOE's grand scheme.
My point all along, it would be more people if SOE had done some publicity!
I belive people would get interested in MxO! I know tons of people who are tired of MMO's with dragons and elves and fantasy crap.
MxO has a great Cyber-punk environment, in my opinion it's not dated, as in old, I still like the graphics and it has nice gameplay and had extraordinary combat.
But as you and more people said correctly, SOE just wants money.
I'll agree with Logan's above post on parts of engine and combat, I have to admit, watching those videos, the combats still fantastic to look at...I didnt even know some of those moves existed!

But pretty much summary is, SOE cut their losses, our loss too.

Anywaaaay! ...moving on I think Bioware should pick up MxO and revive it...how they're doing with The Old Republic has got me hooked to their website for status updates!
(14-12-2010, 11:35 PM)Sierus Wrote: [ -> ]I'll agree with Logan's above post on parts of engine and combat, I have to admit, watching those videos, the combats still fantastic to look at...I didnt even know some of those moves existed!

But pretty much summary is, SOE cut their losses, our loss too.

Anywaaaay! ...moving on I think Bioware should pick up MxO and revive it...how they're doing with The Old Republic has got me hooked to their website for status updates!

The Old Republic really looks amazing, I signed up for the beta in the first days they annouced it and I agree with you, and it's a very cool idea that Bioware should pick up MxO and re-do it, but we have to consider legal issues, copyright stuff and WB is the legal owner of MxO, I don't know whats SOE involvement in all this. Are they still owners of MxO?
So the only way Bioware can pick um the Matrix franchise is to...shall we say, partner with WB?
Correct me if I'm wrong.
I think it's very farfetched so we should dismiss any thought of it, haha.

But a nice thought.

Roll on this MxO Rebirth and Roll on The Old Republic!
MXO could have carried on like Second-life, and all it would take is to convert every last in-game credit into a real $ equivalent + add some support for coding/crafting in order to build an economy.

A step further would be to allow ownership of buildings and/or apartments and decorate the interiors for money. I'm thinking along the lines of SWG.

Sure it would take programming and modifying the code, but if we as players can do it how much more easy would it be for real Dev's with access to full lithtec utilities.
(15-12-2010, 03:13 AM)Rxu Wrote: [ -> ]Sure it would take programming and modifying the code, but if we as players can do it how much more easy would it be for real Dev's with access to full lithtec utilities.

But those devs would need to be paid, and SOE refused to forward so much as a dime toward MxO.

The real problem is, as others have said, the moment SOE got their hands on MxO, their goal was to let it die. I'm sure it was expensive, plus no one on their staff was capable of handling it. On top of that, they had to retain people from Monolith to keep the game running, which I don't think SOE was super keen on. We all saw the devs leave or be "repurposed" or fired one by one.

The F2P discussion is really pointless the more I think about it.

The bottom line is this: A good company could have made F2P work for The Matrix Online. By the very same token, a good company wouldn't have to make it F2P, because a good company could have run the game a million times better and people would have actually paid to stick around.
(15-12-2010, 02:29 PM)QuiDormit Wrote: [ -> ]
(15-12-2010, 03:13 AM)Rxu Wrote: [ -> ]Sure it would take programming and modifying the code, but if we as players can do it how much more easy would it be for real Dev's with access to full lithtec utilities.

But those devs would need to be paid, and SOE refused to forward so much as a dime toward MxO.

The real problem is, as others have said, the moment SOE got their hands on MxO, their goal was to let it die. I'm sure it was expensive, plus no one on their staff was capable of handling it. On top of that, they had to retain people from Monolith to keep the game running, which I don't think SOE was super keen on. We all saw the devs leave or be "repurposed" or fired one by one.

The F2P discussion is really pointless the more I think about it.

The bottom line is this: A good company could have made F2P work for The Matrix Online. By the very same token, a good company wouldn't have to make it F2P, because a good company could have run the game a million times better and people would have actually paid to stick around.

100% agreed!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10