The Matrix Online Server Emulator

Full Version: Porting Matrix Online Emulator to Wine on Ubuntu Linux
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(06-04-2020, 05:21 PM)pagesix1536 Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-04-2020, 05:21 PM)saki Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, so I'm alive and back just like this thread Smile and I'm trying installation without cds on Ubuntu 19.10. MatrixOnline folder is placed in ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/. Files from 7.6003p_patcher are extracted, but I can't get to login. It always goes to Sony, This is patchctl.log:
Code:
--snip snip---
2020.04.05.18.07.12.327 [0100]: URL Open failed: Unrecoverable error.
2020.04.05.18.07.12.327 [0100]: Error: InternetOpenURL failed for URL: http://patch.thematrixonline.com:7030/patchctl/recoverycf.zcf?rq=7f5b98ca775711ea2389b05adacb2803

Sounds like it's still reaching out to the old servers. Did you use happen to use the old "MSI" patcher? I think you're not supposed to since it resets the installation to the native patching system. The 7.6003p has all the files needed to my knowledge. Just unzip and run it.

I didn't use MSI patcher. I did all like in this video guide Installing The Matrix Online Emulator from MxOemu.info, but it didn't work. It's something wrong with my configuration, but I can't figure what.
I noticed if I press account, community or support button, it opens in my native browser - not ie on wine.
I also noticed when I extracted patch that files didn't have permissions like other files in p_dlls folder. I'll be happy to hear your opinion about all this and try to make this game run.

My configuration:
Ubuntu 19.10
Gnome 3.34.2
Memory 4GB
Intel® Core™ i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz × 4
Intel® HD Graphics 5500 (Broadwell GT2)
OS type 64-bit
wine-5.0 stable
wineprefix is 64-bit
with mono
dotnet not installed
I don't think there's any 64-bit code in this. Probably want to set your wine-prefix to 32-bit.

I'm running into the same patching issue when I attempt to recreate and document the process. I originally ran the game client from a Windows 10 VM under VirtualBox, so it did all the patching there, and then I zipped up the directory and moved it to Linux because I wanted to see if I could get it to run under Wine. SO I admit that my install wasn't right from the website now that I think about it. Taking a look at some of it though and here's what I've found:

It looks like the new dbghelp.dll has Rajko's URL in it...but there's an error that occurs when you run launcher.exe and it calls on that DLL...

0037:err:dbghelp:SymCleanup this process has not had SymInitialize() called for it!

I don't know C++ at all, but my theory is that the error is preventing the URL information in the updated DLL from superseding the one that exists in the Launcher, and the patching process is continuing to use the stock launcher's http://patch.thematrixonline.com:7030/ address instead of the one present in the patched dbghelp.dll

I had thought this might be related to either an incorrect version of the Visual C++ libraries I had installed in my wine-prefix, but so far I've tried 2008, 2010, 2015 and maybe a few others with no luck yet.

We might need some insight from Rajkosto on the SymInitialize/SymCleanup message above. I don't think the problem is in the code, but something in our wine-prefix that is missing.
lol... I tried to take the updated launcher.exe I have from my working install and move it over to this new test one because I know it has the updated URLs present in it.

Got further in the process...
It does find the correct URL for updates now, but throws an error about not being able to remove a file due to security or it being read-only... which can't be true because I have the entire directory structure owned by the user I'm running Lutris/Wine as, and it's wide open with 0777/0666 for directories/files.

This was just a test to see what would happen, I wasn't expecting it to work correctly. I think the file it's having trouble deleting is the patchctl.dll in the root of the game directory... probably because it's actively using it at the time it tries to remove it.
Did some testing in Windows 8.1 / 10. Instructions work flawless just like the video shows. (Windows 8.1 is a complete piece of garbage BTW. I don't know how you all used that crap with weird-ass start menu tiles, and the convoluted process just to do a shutdown. And between the two of them, don't even get me started on how many "features" I had to opt-out of just to minimize how much the OS reports back to Redmond.)

Windows XP still gives me trouble and won't run the updated patcher from a fresh install of the OS. I'm guessing it's missing some Visual C++ redist goodies. This is actually a good thing since it's probably a similar condition to what a Wine install is missing to run the patcher code. I'll try to spend some more time looking at what does/doesn't work with a fresh XP install compared with what Wine might be missing.
I can't figure out what the hangup is with the patched dlls not working under Wine. Tried all kinds of stuff and I'm giving up for now.

But... I CAN tell you that a fully patched client from a Windows install copied over to Linux, and seutp under Lutris with DXVK enabled, dsound an directmusic installed... totally works. Just tried that again on my Dell Precision 5530 laptop and with an Nvidia Quadro P1000 video card... and it damn smooth. Shocked at how well this runs once you can actually get a fully patched copy of the files.

I guess the next thing to do would be to compare what the heck is different between the ZIP with the patches, and what gets downloaded once you do get fully patched.
Nobody who uses Windows8.1 (which is better than win10) uses the stock metro start menu, they all install Start8/StartIsBack/ClassicShell and then its just like win7 but with newer kernel and DXGI and slightly fancier shell
(14-04-2020, 09:54 PM)pagesix1536 Wrote: [ -> ]lol... I tried to take the updated launcher.exe I have from my working install and move it over to this new test one because I know it has the updated URLs present in it.

Got further in the process...
It does find the correct URL for updates now, but throws an error about not being able to remove a file due to security or it being read-only... which can't be true because I have the entire directory structure owned by the user I'm running Lutris/Wine as, and it's wide open with 0777/0666 for directories/files.

This was just a test to see what would happen, I wasn't expecting it to work correctly. I think the file it's having trouble deleting is the patchctl.dll in the root of the game directory... probably because it's actively using it at the time it tries to remove it.
I'm glad that you're making progress. I noticed that thing with permissions also and tried setting all to 777 but had no luck. I'm still stuck and probably shall go with vm and then lutris like you.
For the dbghelp.dll thing, have you tried explicitly setting the implementation of dbghelp to Native, not inbuilt ?
Also, you can likely just delete patchctl.dll in the main folder yourself if it keeps getting stuck there.
Pages: 1 2 3