The Matrix Online Server Emulator

Full Version: You can call me Maligner and I just fell down the rabbit hole...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey everyone!

Just wanted to drop a note to say hello and add some info in the way of introductions.

First of all, I'm very sorry to say I am not a programmer nor can I bring anything to the project. I don't know someone who knows someone that owns a building full of servers. I don't have an uncle that works for SOE or Warner Bros. I couldn't help the project in any tangible way, other than funding, so I apologize for my abject failure in this regard. I am the proverbial tit on a boar.

Secondly, I have done almost my level best to read the FAQ and use the search function, as well as combing through some youtube videos, for answers to what questions I've had. I know this is pointless but I also apologize for the inevitable questions that have been answered before but I haven't spent enough time to find. I realize these questions could very well result in nasty responses but accept that as also inevitable. Wasn't it Smith that liked to talk about inevitability?

Let's get said inevitable questions out of the way, shall we? The good news is, there's really only one burning question; who is the best person to PM regarding what little I do have to offer?

Whew! Now that that is out of the way, kudos on all that's been done and all that is planned. I have hope that the little encouragement I can offer is of some use. Like death and taxes are unavoidable, the struggles of those with vision are doomed to be dogged by the thankless, snapping at your heels like mindless rabid dogs. So for whatever it's worth, thank you for the time and effort spent on the emulator, this site, the server and all other pieces and projects of what encompasses breathing life into MxO.

I spend almost all of my free time playing computer games. I'd thought pretty deeply about getting into programming but I'd decided (correctly I think) that I like playing them too much to spend the time making them. It's selfish and I can't defend that. But it's this knowledge that makes me appreciate the kind of person or people it takes to spend their free time doing what I refuse to do. What does a person say to people that give of themselves like you folks do?

At the further risk of degrading my already non-existant reputation, I can't help but share how I ended up here. I've recently caught some of the Matrix movies on cable and it got me to thinking about MxO.

I knew it had been cancelled. Still, I was curious about what it had been that I'd never seen. I got to checking youtube from work because youtube is one of the few things that isn't blocked that I go to for many distractions when work is slow.

While checking some videos of gameplay a melancholy stole over me. You see, once upon a time, I tried a free trial of MxO. I barely remember playing. The first mistake I made was getting lost in the character creation process. I chose unwisely.

After all the effort I put into getting everything I wanted I picked the blue pill. I crashed to desktop with all my work unsaved. I wasn't happy at my mistake. After getting in game, I was quickly underwhelmed by the chopper key farming required and I did not explore the Interlock. My memory is really fuzzy on the facts, but I'm pretty sure I used free fire only.

Perhaps there were other distractions that, if I could dredge them up, would serve as convenient excuses for giving up, but give up I did. I added up a couple of sour tastes, one of my own making, and I gave up on MxO.

Now, looking at video of what I missed I can't help but feel I lost out on something vital.

Which brings me to my arrival here. Provided I'm not worm food when the project nears fruition, I can be patient enough to wait as long as it might take for that second chance to get the feeling you all know so well.

You see, my biggest regret is that I didn't stick with it not just because of what I missed, but because it is precisely because of people like me that the game didn't survive in the first place. In fact, I think I found out that SOE took it down when I tried to check it out again. It's possible I checked before they took it down and decided not to spend the time on a dying game. I don't really remember. All I know for sure is I spent my time on other games. I regret not doing things differently. I feel I missed out on something that was great in it's own way and would, with the proper support from subscribers, grow to be even better.

The knowledge of my part in helping SOE kill MxO is gnawing at my innards and I want to do something about it.

I am curious how many people feel like me these days.

Thanks again for your efforts.
What a,nice guy. Bit wordy though.
Your long subject also broke the quick reply function wtf
Welcome Maligner. Unless you can reverse engineer code, you probably cant help. Sad but true.

You could PM Rajkosto if you have skillz you havent talked about, but really most people just cant do what he does.....

Many of us miss the game and are around in the emu from time to time, if only to see the megacity and do some "nostalgin".

Also, you can meet up with some of us in chat here: http://mxosource.com/chat/

Thats the chat for the Source EMU project, but we all hang out together...