The Matrix Online Server Emulator
Three years ago today... - Printable Version

+- The Matrix Online Server Emulator (//mxoemu.info/forum)
+-- Forum: General (//mxoemu.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (//mxoemu.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Three years ago today... (/showthread.php?tid=1013)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Three years ago today... - Zenom199 - 01-08-2012

I still miss this game. Despite the bugs, lag, lack of content its still my all time favourite mmo. Vesuveus is right it was the community that made this game so great. If only Sony didnt buy this game just to milk it and run it into the ground to make way for their other projects it could have been massive.

Oh well, all good things come to an end.

RE: Three years ago today... - Aquilae - 01-08-2012

If Sony didn't buy it the game would have failed back in 2005.

RE: Three years ago today... - Zenom199 - 02-08-2012

lol so your saying Sony buying the game was a good thing?

Sony had no intention of seeing this game grow and succeed. They sacked the live event team (destroying the game's most exciting feature for many players). They sacked the monolith techs that came over initially. They never put any money into advertising the game. Hell i am from Australia and it was never advertised or distributed here. I stumbled on it on the internet.

In the end they had a game with code they didnt understand and not enough staff to maintain it. So they proceeded to suck $15 a month from players until it become no longer viable.

If it wasnt for rarebit's attempts to keep live events going and releasing new content (old content that was just reskinned). I doubt the game would have lasted as long as it did under Sony.

We don't know what happened behind closed doors when Monolith was negiotating the sale of the game but if they picked a company that actually wanted to see the game succeed it may be still around today.

RE: Three years ago today... - Aquilae - 02-08-2012

I never said any of that.

I'll rephrase it: If WB didn't sell the game it would have closed down in 2005.

RE: Three years ago today... - QuiDormit - 02-08-2012

There's a big difference between what Aq said and how Zenom interpreted it.

Aq is 100% right, though. If it would have stayed with WB/Monolith, it would have been as dead as the first run of APB.

The question is, however, would that have been a good thing? Would another team have picked it up in 2005 and tried to make it successful? A team that actually cared about it, I mean.

We'll never know.

RE: Three years ago today... - Zenom199 - 03-08-2012

(02-08-2012, 04:16 AM)Aquilae Wrote: I never said any of that.

I'll rephrase it: If WB didn't sell the game it would have closed down in 2005.

Ok I misinterpreted what you said. I wasn't around in those days. I heard about it pre-beta but forgot about it. I jacked in post CR2.

RE: Three years ago today... - rajkosto - 03-08-2012

IF YOU COULD TURN BACK TIME

RE: Three years ago today... - Neopill - 04-08-2012

Yeah time sure goes by fast. I still dont see why they didnt make it a F2P game with a store to purchase things.

RE: Three years ago today... - Zenom199 - 04-08-2012

It was due to the fee they were paying WB for the IP. I doubt a f2p setup would have covered it. Especially since there was no one to create items worth selling.

RE: Three years ago today... - QuiDormit - 05-08-2012

Nah, F2P MAKES money. Don't fall in to the foolish notion that F2P hurts the one running it. The companies that run F2P make assloads of dough.

The reason that F2P wasn't ever viable for MxO was because it would have cost a major investment in hiring people who could poke around in the code and create things. Well, that and SOE didn't really want to run a game it didn't create (or so it seemed to me).