The Matrix Online Server Emulator
Old haunts, haunting me. - Printable Version

+- The Matrix Online Server Emulator (//mxoemu.info/forum)
+-- Forum: The Matrix Online (//mxoemu.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: MxO General Discussion (//mxoemu.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Old haunts, haunting me. (/showthread.php?tid=1159)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Old haunts, haunting me. - QuiDormit - 20-02-2013

I know the state of the emu. Go ahead and read my post before yours.

RE: Old haunts, haunting me. - Zenom199 - 20-02-2013

Yeah we all know Rajko has reverse engineered the client. What he has actually done with that knowledge since the last release of the emu only he knows.

RE: Old haunts, haunting me. - rajkosto - 20-02-2013

And people who hang out in IRC when i post nonsense

RE: Old haunts, haunting me. - Zenom199 - 20-02-2013

Yeah I should hang out in IRC more, it just gets a little quiet there at times

RE: Old haunts, haunting me. - bitbomb - 21-02-2013

Yeah coincidentally that rarely happens, but you seem to witness most of it. Very strange. Channel is pretty active most of the time.

RE: Old haunts, haunting me. - Fractal_Blade - 26-02-2013

Not getting into the state of emu (it will be done, valve style*) but the haunts comment hit a nerve.

The grind was the grind but spiced up with the major server events. I miss that. I would gladly do some farming for gear right now. Major events? Well, with emu being under someones thumb, anything might happen.

*valve style == when its damn good and ready.

RE: Old haunts, haunting me. - bitbomb - 27-02-2013

Major events require a full, well coordinated staff of non-players, or people who can compartmentalize their interests well enough to play the game and help run an event like a professional. Most people who have expressed interest in running those events have been perfect examples of the worst possible candidates for the job. Granted, there can be no major events if there is no game yet. It's not 'under anyone's thumb,' Rajko is just the only person who can/will do it. Lots of people want to 'help' but again, most people who want to help have no skills/talent to offer. This is highly specialized work that requires born propensity and years of experience.

We all miss it and wish for its completion, I just hope we all know what's actually going on. Some of the assumptions are pretty weird.

RE: Old haunts, haunting me. - Fractal_Blade - 28-02-2013

I was not trying to imply anything by the "under the thumb" comment other than emu is under direction and not fragmented out. I have been on enough projects, some of which involved multiple groups in different countries, and see them crash and burn because of a lack of leadership.

Rajko has done phenomenal work and I cannot wait to see what comes next. I stand by my "valve style" remark.

Your are spot on about the major events. It may be a matter of trial and error to find people who can do that (without burning them out).

I did wander over to github and checked out the old source code there. With a specific direction, I could pull my coding skills out of the chest and help out but I also looked at the changelog and comments. I noticed some of the past "issues" with different commits so I really get where Rajko is coming from and the teeth grinding frustration of having to redo things. Emu will get done, valve time.

RE: Old haunts, haunting me. - bitbomb - 28-02-2013

Yeah, definitely. Only here it's not a lack of leadership, it's a lack of personnel. Definitely take a look at the old git source, but know it's outdated. Putting effort into making things public has over the years become a waste of time, since nobody interested in doing something has 'got the goods.' Usually ends up with a bunch of time wasted answering questions that the code answers, and the person decides 'wow this is hard' and moves on. Feel free to jump into the chat if you actually know what you're doing, there's plenty of stuff that needs to be done, Rajko often wishes he could duplicate himself.

Also you'll see some requests on the forum for different things, stuff non-experts can do, but nobody picks up even that. Or it's picked up and quickly dropped. Anyway, definitely see if something needs doing, but don't bother if you're 'hobby' level, it'll end up just being frustrating for both of you. Definitely mean that in a positive, 'trying to save you some trouble' kind of way. And yes, Valve/Duke Nukem Forever 'when it's done' is the ETA. Too bad DNF was weak though.

RE: Old haunts, haunting me. - QuiDormit - 28-02-2013

A perfect example of personnel is SWGEmu. They literally have 50+ people on staff. That's insane. They also have good leadership.

If only The Matrix pulled nerds (and kept them) the way Star Wars did, we might have already had this completed by then.

Oh well, so it goes.