The Matrix Online Server Emulator
"Reality" server experience - Printable Version

+- The Matrix Online Server Emulator (//mxoemu.info/forum)
+-- Forum: General (//mxoemu.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (//mxoemu.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: "Reality" server experience (/showthread.php?tid=1940)

"Reality" server experience - Static - 22-04-2014

I know that Reality server is outdated, lacks a lot of features and compared to the current test server is completely useless. I know at some point there were a lot of people checking out and building their own versions (TasteeWheat, MxoSource) etc.

I am curious to see how many people here have worked on that codebase before. I am also curios what made you stop? Was it time, lack of knowledge, lack of interest, attitude of developers Big Grin etc.

There are ways to play around and experiment with the code base, but I do not see a lot of people doing it, just wondering what is stopping you?

RE: "Reality" server experience - rajkosto - 22-04-2014

Because it sucks and was a huge hack just to get some sort of packet response going?

RE: "Reality" server experience - Static - 22-04-2014

So if someone were to clean it up a bit, rewrite the networking protocol to fix current issues, rather than raw hardcoded values (partially extracted from the log), would people use it as a foundation for a project?

I know reality was hack, was that the only reason or are there more?

RE: "Reality" server experience - rajkosto - 23-04-2014

I really don't know what 'people' you're talking about, there were short bursts when others were interested, but that faded quickly after figuring out that it's a big job
And people who can program are usually busy, I've had a couple of them as contributors to the Phosphor code base, and there were 0 commits.
Zionner made a quick hack job of the sectorview thing when he had some time before he was actually good at such things, but later too busy to carry on (I had to rewrite sectorview completely pretty much anyway).
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

RE: "Reality" server experience - Static - 23-04-2014

I can understand being busy, I have a job and all that jazz as well, but the fact that there is zero commits, a development section where nobody is really asking anything, like "i have tried to install a, but can't get b to work", and I am talking questions about people who actually took time and energy to figure things out before they got stuck. I don't really visit the chat often so maybe some of that dev chatter goes on there. I am just a bit surprised that there are quite a few people on here, but so few are taking interest in trying development.

Besides, every project where you keep rewriting stuff may be considered a hack at first, until you figure shit out and write it out properly.

RE: "Reality" server experience - rajkosto - 23-04-2014

People into the matrix are not into it enough to justify the time spent on trying to develop it, i guess.
And irc is just people talking about guns and movies and other off-topic things.
If someone were to seriously contact me about helping I do my best to not put them off, but they give up before long.