The Matrix Online Server Emulator
The status of the project - Printable Version

+- The Matrix Online Server Emulator (//mxoemu.info/forum)
+-- Forum: General (//mxoemu.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (//mxoemu.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: The status of the project (/showthread.php?tid=2028)

Pages: 1 2

The status of the project - Ranetki - 13-01-2015

Hello. After recently downloading MxO and checking out the progress on the game myself, I was very impressed by the work that's been done on restoring the game, and I was curious as to whether or not it's still a work in progress. I've been reading some about the work that morpheus and raj have been putting in, among others, but I've yet to see anyone else online.

RE: The status of the project - rajkosto - 13-01-2015

Hah, morpheus. That was so 2009 for a month.
The test server is an outdated hacky thing that I only leave up because some people like trolling around Megacity, and also when i debug the client I dont need to spin up a local instance.
In 2011 I started rewriting it all from a new base but it's been going so slow because I wanted to do it 'correctly' which means reverse engineering all the files that I planned to load into it, etc, and then last year in march UE4 released so I've decided that since I'm never going to be able to make an editor as good as theirs, that I might as well use all the reverse engineered stuff, make exporters and importers for all the assets MxO has, and port it all over. And that's whats happening slowly atm.

RE: The status of the project - Neopill - 13-01-2015

Willing to wait? Fuck yeah we are.

And I wouldnt call it "trolling" Mega City. Its more like "Oh fuck I remember this event, that epic PvP battle, oh shit we partied at this club, I got so pwned here once, this is where I met Niobe, Ghost led us into an insane battle here, fake morpheus tried to spawn here, THIS IS WHERE I WAS WHEN TEH SIMULATION WAS DESTROYED BY SMITH VIRUS. ---fk you SOE!"

and stuff and things.

Pill

RE: The status of the project - Ranetki - 13-01-2015

That's pretty cool. I was never around for the original run of MxO (I scarcely had any idea what an MMO was at the time), but I did discover this project after learning about MxO by chance, and I was intrigued to learn that there was a (somewhat) functional emulator running online.

The game certainly has a more antiquated feel to it than more contemporary MMOs (not that that's a bad thing). I was impressed that almost the entirety of the Mega City has been restored from the ground up, only missing small parts such as vendors and actions for sitting down and such.

Does anyone still log in regularly? Is the test server functioning to the point that online multiplayer is possible?

RE: The status of the project - rajkosto - 14-01-2015

All it does is pass packets around the clients, this means you can move around and chat (and see others doing the same, emotes, etc) but anything where the server is authoritative is a pain (the doors dont even close), thats why I was rewriting it. Go to the "test server working features" thread to see some hacky chat commands

RE: The status of the project - Adverse - 14-01-2015

Thanks for responding to this! I was interested as well, and I have been digging around the forums getting answers. Glad I'm not the only one keeping tabs on this emu project. I play SWGemu currently (another great game SOE killed) so I've seen first hand what a dedicated group can do to rez a game. I wish I knew something about coding so I could help with the project.

It seems like the communities associated with emu projects are always pretty close knit and helpful. The payoff from all your work is almost guaranteed to be worth it. I hope you don't feel underappreciated for what you're doing, and for Neo's sake, find some help!

RE: The status of the project - Ranetki - 14-01-2015

Adverse, that's pretty cool. I'm a pretty big SWTOR player, and I've been looking to begin playing SWGEmu for some time now. I think SOE shot down SWG even faster than it did MxO. I just need to acquire some game CDs because it requires an original client, but it's great to hear someone else here is also into it.

I also wish I knew something about coding so that I could pitch in, but I know that being new to the project, I'd probably just complicate raj's efforts more than I'd contribute. Still, I look forward to keeping tabs on this project.

Very nice touch, by the way, that we can macro martial arts animations into the quickbars via the chat box.

RE: The status of the project - Sixxth - 14-01-2015

(14-01-2015, 04:26 PM)Ranetki Wrote: Adverse, that's pretty cool. I'm a pretty big SWTOR player, and I've been looking to begin playing SWGEmu for some time now. I think SOE shot down SWG even faster than it did MxO. I just need to acquire some game CDs because it requires an original client, but it's great to hear someone else here is also into it.

I also wish I knew something about coding so that I could pitch in, but I know that being new to the project, I'd probably just complicate raj's efforts more than I'd contribute. Still, I look forward to keeping tabs on this project.

Very nice touch, by the way, that we can macro martial arts animations into the quickbars via the chat box.

Since you brought it up, and Rajkosto is much too polite to tell you:

- He doesn't like to be called "Raj". Rajko is acceptable, pronounced Ray-ko.
- No one else has ever helped him code, much less beginners. Either no one has the skill, or no one has the time/desire. As you read through the forums you'll find lots of offers to help, then...nothing.
- Being able to write macros was available when the game was live, but not to trigger gameplay animations. That is indeed courtesy of Rajko.

Welcome aboard.

RE: The status of the project - Ranetki - 15-01-2015

Thank you for the welcome. I'll be sure to keep that in mind.

RE: The status of the project - marshy21 - 15-01-2015

Great to see the updates,

Quote:Since you brought it up, and Rajkosto is much too polite to tell you:

- He doesn't like to be called "Raj". Rajko is acceptable, pronounced Ray-ko.

Who are you his wife ?,