The Matrix Online Server Emulator
Anything I can do to help development? - Printable Version

+- The Matrix Online Server Emulator (//mxoemu.info/forum)
+-- Forum: The Matrix Online (//mxoemu.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: The MxO Client (//mxoemu.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Anything I can do to help development? (/showthread.php?tid=2199)

Pages: 1 2

Anything I can do to help development? - ColdSpike - 10-01-2016

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'd be glad to try and help out, even a little bit. I have some programming "skills" and I can 3D model, texture and animate models (granted I'm a bit limited, but hoping to hone my skills soon). Is there anything I can do? Or is it best to just leave the development of this project to the people in charge?

RE: Anything I can do to help development? - rajkosto - 11-01-2016

You could make collision models for the extprefabs, but i dont trust anyone with the files anymore after the last incident.

RE: Anything I can do to help development? - ColdSpike - 11-01-2016

(11-01-2016, 12:59 AM)rajkosto Wrote: You could make collision models for the extprefabs, but i dont trust anyone with the files anymore after the last incident.

I understand if you don't want to trust a stranger, especially after what happened. Still, if you want me to take a crack at them, I'd be happy try. Though I don't exactly know how I can give you a guarantee to trust me. I'm assuming by collision models, it would just be simple work that anyone can do and would only aid you by saving some time? If so, I'd still like to help a little.

RE: Anything I can do to help development? - Sixxth - 11-01-2016

If it was simple work, there would be a lots of people helping..

RE: Anything I can do to help development? - ColdSpike - 11-01-2016

(11-01-2016, 11:46 AM)Sixxth Wrote: If it was simple work, there would be a lots of people helping..

I see. I never found it too difficult to make collision masks and models back when I was 3D modeling for games. Granted I hardly ever worked on characters; mostly environmental objects and props.

RE: Anything I can do to help development? - rajkosto - 12-01-2016

this is all for the environment though, but it does get complicated because all enterable buildings need to be hollow:
https://images.sshnuke.net/2016-01-12_08-18-03.png
https://images.sshnuke.net/2016-01-12_08-18-27.png

All made of separate boxes/convexes in 3dsmax manually by me.

RE: Anything I can do to help development? - ColdSpike - 12-01-2016

(12-01-2016, 08:19 AM)rajkosto Wrote: this is all for the environment though, but it does get complicated because all enterable buildings need to be hollow:
https://images.sshnuke.net/2016-01-12_08-18-03.png
https://images.sshnuke.net/2016-01-12_08-18-27.png

All made of separate boxes/convexes in 3dsmax manually by me.

Doesn't look too bad; I figured in a game like MXO the collision detection wasn't all that complicated when compared to, say, a Mario game or something. But hollowing buildings for collision is always quite challenging and time consuming. Obviously this game lets you enter almost any building at will without loading times, so this means both their outside and inside must have collision models, I bet. Quite the issue. I would still like to take a crack at a building, though. I haven't 3D modeled anything (aside form a project or two) in a few years and I'm willing to bet that I've forgotten quite a few things as it's not like riding a bike. Still, I'm being dragged back to college in about a week and one of the classes I choose to re-take was modeling and game design.

RE: Anything I can do to help development? - rajkosto - 13-01-2016

This isnt 3d modelling though, its more like snapping boxes onto already modeled geometry, and splitting shapes until theyre convex then applying the nvidia physx modifier on them.

RE: Anything I can do to help development? - ColdSpike - 13-01-2016

(13-01-2016, 06:15 AM)rajkosto Wrote: This isnt 3d modelling though, its more like snapping boxes onto already modeled geometry, and splitting shapes until theyre convex then applying the nvidia physx modifier on them.

All of that made sense except the physx modifier, what's that for?

RE: Anything I can do to help development? - rajkosto - 13-01-2016

It creates a convex hull from any set of vertices you have... this is so that you end up with properly closed and convex meshes even if you just have 2 planes or whatever.