The Matrix Online Server Emulator
Want to help with project - Printable Version

+- The Matrix Online Server Emulator (//mxoemu.info/forum)
+-- Forum: General (//mxoemu.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (//mxoemu.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Want to help with project (/showthread.php?tid=2201)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Want to help with project - bitbomb - 25-04-2016

Yeah for the last 6 years, once every few months, someone says exactly that. "Maybe if *I* try to talk to someone, it'll work!" It's been tried over and over, it won't work. The reply to that is usually "Well I'll try anyway!" Knock yourself out, it's been tried a zillion times by a zillion different people. Your enthusiasm is appreciated but definitely allow the people who've been here and know how this goes to offer some perspective, it does indeed come from experience.

As far as UE4, there are lots of resources, and fortunately you don't need to be a programmer to use it effectively. There's a thread with a bunch of screenshots from Rajko's UE4 dealings that are pretty interesting.

http://mxoemu.info/forum/showthread.php?tid=2207&highlight=UE4+screenshots

RE: Want to help with project - Freezer64 - 25-04-2016

Yea I fell asleep reading a lot of things on this forum and others. Some interesting things have been written over the years. It's a shame they just didn't make it F2P in the end, that would have given enough revenue to at least keep it going me thinks. Sorry for the repeated posts, definitely a game where I regret throwing away screen shots. Something a lot of us wouldn't mind revisiting during our lives as we get older and remember the good times, this game seemed to have brought me plenty of! Sony just kind of gave us all the finger, which was pretty shit as I'm sure most of you here know! I remember something vaguely, going back to the site and I believe there was little less than a month before they were taking the servers down, but by that time I had forgotten my login, and wasn't sure Sony even kept it at all. Guess you could say it didn't all click until I found this website a few days ago! I'll be around to see how this goes. Would love to see this come to fruition!

I would also love to make a donation, but I wouldn't know what I was making it to. Right now it would feel like I'm just giving away money for what exactly? It would help if there were some kind of timeline, or something, I feel like that would give people something to shoot for I guess. Like hey, in order to get you guys something you can get into, say like a way early alpha version just as an example, it's going to cost $$$$ much... I think there could be a lot of people skimming these forums that would like to make donations if there was something they could see in return, whether it a bar graph or what have you. Just an idea, which I'm sure has also already been thrown out there somewhere over the last 7 years or so! Lol

RE: Want to help with project - bitbomb - 25-04-2016

For one, hosting costs money. It's a hobby project that's an enormous amount of work. It would be a huge waste of time to lay out project timeline, Rajko just keeps it in his head and works on it when he works on it. Donate if you want, don't if you don't. The amount of time and money Rajko has already put into this project is enough to throw a couple bucks if you're into it. It's just a way to show support if you can't contribute technically, but Rajko doesn't have shareholders he has to report to or anything. It's a bit more casual than that.

RE: Want to help with project - Drethon - 25-04-2016

Donating a few bucks generally goes to paying for servers and keeping what is here alive.

If you want to donate toward an early alpha version, this would be more along the lines of 5-10 full time developers for a year of development, which is conservatively about $200k. Unfortunately professional development is very expensive and free time development just never happens at a fast or predictable pace.

RE: Want to help with project - Freezer64 - 25-04-2016

Act nice on the forums, talk shit in IRC, seems these guys just want to be left alone. Take care guys. I'll let this forum drift back into its slumber.

RE: Want to help with project - Drethon - 25-04-2016

I've put up with shit on the IRC and still hang around the project. The project is worth trying to make something out of despite most of us becoming very cynical from past experience. Most of the mxo emulator (or most software development I've worked on) is an exercise in disappointment anyway.

RE: Want to help with project - parapsycho - 26-04-2016

Same here. I came to the chat all bright eyed and bushy tailed, and was shocked by the grumpiness. Then I quickly got over myself, and everything is chill. I know that small talk pisses Rajkosto off, so I pretty much lurk until someone else (usually bitbomb) logs in.

I plan on donating/helping when and where I can, but for now I'm just enjoying the emu for what it is and being part of the community.