The Matrix Online Server Emulator
Why not Unity (slight rant) - Printable Version

+- The Matrix Online Server Emulator (//mxoemu.info/forum)
+-- Forum: General (//mxoemu.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (//mxoemu.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Why not Unity (slight rant) (/showthread.php?tid=2256)

Why not Unity (slight rant) - dcyuri7 - 11-02-2017

I'm sorry but I don't see why all this work is being done on networking and basic systems like chat, character creation, and data saving.

I would much rather devote my time to the code of a project that isn't reinventing the wheel. Why not use Unity or Unreal engine? It has everything that is needed built in, that way everyone could focus on working on real problems that need solving, like the depth of the gameplay, the depth of the combat system, and abilities.
Problems like anti cheat, which ruined the beta.

I don't see this going anywhere positive, and I'm just baffled no one is trying harder.
I love the game and the series, as I'm sure everyone here does. But I don't believe that what is going on here has any resemblance of the values required to give birth to such a project.

If it weren't for the fact that it's copyrighted so entirely that monetizing the game would be impossible without massive re-branding, I would most absolutely start off my own project from scratch without whatever the hell this project is supposed to be.

It's been years, what exactly have you accomplished here?
Sorry for the disdain and rough conversation approach ,but seriously, what the actual fuck?

I came here expecting a semi-active github repository, with some actual features in place. I suppose my expectations were way WAY too high. The one repo out there was last updated 8 years ago. I am not even going to look at the code for this shit. Using 8 year old technology and expecting any form of results is beyond retarded.
Using C++ for the entire project is also fairly warrant-less. Systems these days have plenty of ram and computing power to run main loops in JIT. Which opens the door for modern day programmers to work on it collaboratively in OOP...!! College graduates these days can barely make websites, let alone code in C++... Hackers and legacy system developers are the only ones who can actually do anything with that language. They are the only ones who need it.
The only items that need the raw power of C++ would be the rendering engine and networking engine. But that's been done so many times over by huge well performed enterprises. Why in the hell would anyone want to bake it into the game and spend 8+ years doing so? Ridiculous.

Good day. I'll take the blue pill and be on my way. The rabbit hole was covered up by 3 tons of steel many moons ago...

RE: Why not Unity (slight rant) - rajkosto - 11-02-2017

Quote:College graduates these days can barely make websites, let alone code in C++
good thing im not a college graduate then ?

http://mxoemu.info/forum/showthread.php?tid=2207

RE: Why not Unity (slight rant) - bitbomb - 11-02-2017

You might want to look at this:
Random in-development UE4 Screenshots

http://mxoemu.info/forum/showthread.php?tid=2207

EDIT: In light of the fact that you didn't even jack in or read enough to know that there has already been effort underway to port MxO to UE4, your post is hilarous.

RE: Why not Unity (slight rant) - Metalogic - 12-02-2017

What the Hel was the point of this thread?

RE: Why not Unity (slight rant) - Vesuveus - 12-02-2017

(12-02-2017, 03:20 AM)Metalogic Wrote: What the Hel was the point of this thread?

He wanted the community to ask him to help.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

RE: Why not Unity (slight rant) - Jatoba - 12-02-2017

That dcyuri7 post was the most pathetically pretentious comment I have seen in a good while on the web now. rofl

Just an incompetent developer (if even that) with a pointlessly shitty character. I wonder where to even start addressing each and every mistake in the post, both in the technical aspects as well as in the ones directly pertaining to this project (such as how there already WAS an attempt to port MxO to Unreal Engine 4 as specified in bitbomb's post).

Anyway, kinda pitiful and funny, honestly.

RE: Why not Unity (slight rant) - rajkosto - 12-02-2017

I'm sure he only registered to post that and will never be seen again, so this should probably be locked.

RE: Why not Unity (slight rant) - Jatoba - 13-02-2017

Nothing like sweeping away the trash. I agree.

RE: Why not Unity (slight rant) - dcyuri7 - 20-02-2017

Am happy to defend myself despite the lack of agreeable perspectives.

Without a doubt I exaggerated the post to incite responses, I figured no one would to be perfectly honest. But though you disagree entirely, I feel my points were still valid.
No I didn't jack in, what's the point? It's been years, and the chat system barely works. I'm going off the latest news articles and pinned threads, should I be otherwise informed?

rajkotso Wrote:good thing im not a college graduate then ?
You missed the point. If you were to enable recent college graduates to work on the project, perhaps it would be somewhere at the present day and age. No disrespect intended, though the original text certainly indicated otherwise. My point is that you have chosen a language that is not "mainstream", and therefore people are less likely to get involved. Do you disagree with that? Would it not make more sense to use an object oriented language in order to get the most out of the public?

Aside from that, The UE4 port you've mentioned has nothing to do with this specific project, and therefore this specific thread. I've seen another attempt at porting this game that actually is in C#/Mono. I would've posted a topic on that project should I desired to. I came here, because this is the one that seemed to have the most potential. I figured someone would have made an executive decision to drop C++ by now. That is all.

If what I've said is so incomprehensible and worthless, then tell me where I'm wrong and I'll happily admit fault. If I had any interest in impressing anyone, you would think I would do something entirely different than what I've done here, so I'm not sure "pretentious" is the correct term. Uninformed disdain perhaps would be a better replacement?

My main motif here was that you guys haven't produced anything near where I expected, having not looked at this for years. Obviously you know far more about the project than I do, clearly, most certainly. Like I said, I should've lowered my expectations. It's not your fault I expected more. I should definitely jack-in and see it for myself before being presumptuous, but it's a little late for that isn't it.
It's just an observation of the project, and an expression of sadness in an attempt to understand why the project isn't farther along.
I don't expect you to have a good answer, nor is any answer really required. Nor do I believe myself so valuable as to have any expectation for any answer at all. Don't twist it - It is what it is.

RE: Why not Unity (slight rant) - rajkosto - 20-02-2017

Ok so you just hate C++, despite that being the language the original game was made with, and the language of choice for game/systems development? Noted.