The Matrix Online Server Emulator
Games with a similar atmosphere to Matrix Online? - Printable Version

+- The Matrix Online Server Emulator (//mxoemu.info/forum)
+-- Forum: The Matrix Online (//mxoemu.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: MxO General Discussion (//mxoemu.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Games with a similar atmosphere to Matrix Online? (/showthread.php?tid=2742)

Games with a similar atmosphere to Matrix Online? - djmeowth - 17-04-2021

I was wondering if there are any games out there that have a similar vibe or atmosphere to MxO. I loved exploring MegaCity in MxO - I liked how each district in the city had its own history and purpose, and how there was this mild ominous feeling that followed you around everywhere, as though something wasn't quite right. There was a lot of urban decay, and mysterious abandoned buildings and empty lots that made your imagination run wild with thoughts of midnight meetings between shadowy factions vying for control of the dying city.

It was a really interesting vibe that might have been unique to MxO. Even the other Matrix video games like Enter the Matrix and Path of Neo couldn't quite replicate it.

The games I've played that have gotten 'closest' to MxO's atmosphere are still extremely different from MxO, but ever so slightly closer than most other games. Most recently Cyberpunk 2077 has given me some MxO vibes, thanks to all the industrial locations and city districts that have fallen into absolute gang-controlled chaos, kind of like parts of Westview in MxO. I also enjoyed Mirror's Edge and Mirror's Edge Catalyst, which were a lot cleaner and brighter than MxO but still had some similar themes, including an oblivious population that had yet to 'wake up' to the truth and some really cool off-limits abandoned areas and industrial plants.

I guess, in a nutshell, I'm looking for games with modern day (or slightly futuristic) urban settings and a lot of abandoned or decaying buildings. Bonus points if the game's world is home to hackers, conspiracies, and interesting gangs with vaguely supernatural gimmicks.

RE: Games with a similar atmosphere to Matrix Online? - Wuppertaler - 20-04-2021

(17-04-2021, 01:23 AM)djmeowth Wrote: I was wondering if there are any games out there that have a similar vibe or atmosphere to MxO. I loved exploring MegaCity in MxO - I liked how each district in the city had its own history and purpose, and how there was this mild ominous feeling that followed you around everywhere, as though something wasn't quite right. There was a lot of urban decay, and mysterious abandoned buildings and empty lots that made your imagination run wild with thoughts of midnight meetings between shadowy factions vying for control of the dying city.

It was a really interesting vibe that might have been unique to MxO. Even the other Matrix video games like Enter the Matrix and Path of Neo couldn't quite replicate it.

The games I've played that have gotten 'closest' to MxO's atmosphere are still extremely different from MxO, but ever so slightly closer than most other games. Most recently Cyberpunk 2077 has given me some MxO vibes, thanks to all the industrial locations and city districts that have fallen into absolute gang-controlled chaos, kind of like parts of Westview in MxO. I also enjoyed Mirror's Edge and Mirror's Edge Catalyst, which were a lot cleaner and brighter than MxO but still had some similar themes, including an oblivious population that had yet to 'wake up' to the truth and some really cool off-limits abandoned areas and industrial plants.

I guess, in a nutshell, I'm looking for games with modern day (or slightly futuristic) urban settings and a lot of abandoned or decaying buildings. Bonus points if the game's world is home to hackers, conspiracies, and interesting gangs with vaguely supernatural gimmicks.

Mayve you could try "The secret World Legends".

https://www.secretworldlegends.com

RE: Games with a similar atmosphere to Matrix Online? - JuiceHeadGorilla - 22-09-2021

I don't know if it is purely nostalgia, but I haven't played anything that quite replicated the feeling of MxO ever. The game was just too special along with being inside of a universe that means so much to me. Games that had elements of some of the things you noted for me (but extremely different) would be like Vampires the Masquerade: Bloodlines, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Yakuza: Kwami 2, Technobabylon, CB2077. But honestly, everything else is just chasing the dragon to capture what MxO felt like, definitely one of a kind.

RE: Games with a similar atmosphere to Matrix Online? - KOOLLAYDTAC - 14-12-2021

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned this one, but the only Matrix like game out there not affiliated with the franchise would be Saints Row 4. I'd catch it on a sale mates. Hope this helps some. Good luck and stay safe everybody. Smile

Steam Version.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/206420/Saints_Row_IV/

GOG Version.
https://www.gog.com/en/game/saints_row_iv_game_of_the_century_edition