The Matrix Online Server Emulator
Inception - Printable Version

+- The Matrix Online Server Emulator (//mxoemu.info/forum)
+-- Forum: General (//mxoemu.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Offtopic (//mxoemu.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: Inception (/showthread.php?tid=593)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Inception - bitbomb - 18-11-2010

Why would you want to wash it off? It's a good one to let stew, or watch before you go to sleep. It's great to watch with friends, especially if it's new some of them. Few films have so much to offer.

While you're at it, I recommend checking out Metropolis, which is most likely the earliest film influence on The Matrix. While I'm watching it I often forget it came out in 1927. It's way ahead of its time.

I found this trailer, it's really cheesy with it's "Before The Matrix. Before Blade Runner," blah blah blah, but it's true and it's a decent trailer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j8Ba9rWhUg

RE: Inception - Cycles - 18-11-2010

(18-11-2010, 08:10 PM)bitbomb Wrote: Why would you want to wash it off? It's a good one to let stew, or watch before you go to sleep. It's great to watch with friends, especially if it's new some of them. Few films have so much to offer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j8Ba9rWhUg

Hehe dont get me wrong m8, i am not washing it off, on the counterary i was bathing in it last night before going to sleep. But when i like a movie much like this one for example i truly want to understand what it was all about so i then watch it twice after the information overload died a bit. But infact i let some buddies of mine on facebook check it out so waithing for the reply on how much they liked this on as we speak haha.

Metropolis, haha indeed cheesy start for a trailer but looks like a good movie. Going to check it out later tonight thanks for the post m8.

RE: Inception - bitbomb - 18-11-2010

Yeah, obviously that trailer was fanmade. I doubt they knew about 2001: A Space Odyssey and Blade Runner in 1927, haha. But Metropolis is amazing in that it outdoes even modern sci-fi. There are things in that movie I still haven't seen since. Massive sets, swarms of extras, it's a gargantuan production. Fortunately, all the flair was merited. But in relation to The Matrix, Metropolis centers around a city that's a false utopia, and it's powered by the sweat of the poor in "the worker city" deep underground. Good stuff.

RE: Inception - Villemar - 19-11-2010

All good recommendations. And Waking Life is great because you can make a note of who the different speakers are and look up the ones that influence you...then find other info or youtube videos of them. I did it with the super-evolution guy and found a treasure trove.

Also, you know when the main character is learning tricks about how to tell whether or not he's dreaming or not and he says you can't manipulate lighting? Like you can't use a lightswitch or a dimmer in a room? Well, fairly recently I woke up from a dream in which I was listening to a stereo and I *was* able to turn down the volume slowly...so you *can* do that...Dream Rule #73 :-)

Actually this summer, to coincide with 'Inception,' I went on a bender in which I saw every mindf&ck, what-is-reality themed movie I could imagine, rewatching many and catching some I've never seen before. Of course The Matrix trilogy and Waking Life were on the list, but also rewatched others in that genre including Jacob's Ladder, Mulholland Drive, Dark City, The Thirteenth Floor, Brazil, Synecdote NY, Vanilla Sky, The Truman Show, A Scanner Darkly, Solaris, and I'm sure others that I can't think of off the top of my head.

RE: Inception - bitbomb - 19-11-2010

Nice. What I've been able to make of the lightswitch thing is this. It's a misconception that you can't change light levels, that has nothing to do with it. It's the act of setting a chain reaction in motion, and expecting unseen factors to carry out something completely unrelated. (Flicking your finger against a small lever/The room becomes brighter). These factors only become a problem when you rely on their existence. For example, I drive in my dreams sometimes. But the moment I notice this, I start carrying out the details, rather than just driving. I try to shift gears, accelerate, etc. The function breaks down, and I either can't shift gears, or the car won't speed up, etc. My point is that you can make anything happen, it's all in how you go about it. If you're on that very light level of dreaming, you can probably do anything (turn down the stereo, drive, etc) because you're not trying to set mechanisms in motion, you're just believing that it's happening because you expect it to. I'm having a hard time articulating exactly what I mean, I hope this makes sense. I'm no expert, I think that's painfully obvious. I've just been fascinated with lucid dreaming and dreaming as a whole since I was six years old, and I've devoted a lot of effort and thought to it over the years.

---------------
Villemar[The Matrix trilogy and Waking Life were on the list, but also rewatched others in that genre including Jacob's Ladder, Mulholland Drive, Dark City, The Thirteenth Floor, Brazil, Synecdote NY, Vanilla Sky, The Truman Show, A Scanner Darkly, Solaris, and I'm sure others that I can't think of off the top of my head.]
---------------

Nice list! Some of my faves are on there. Did you hit Lost Highway? And Total Recall, in all its campy glory, is a very good "what's real" movie.

I'd also really recommend the old series "The Prisoner," that's where the whole Neo/#6 idea comes from.

RE: Inception - unholy - 19-11-2010

The lucid moment is never in your control....... The lucid moment is but an instant in which you realize it is your world. As it fades the lucid moment only reminds you of the lack of control that exists in all points in dream or waking.... We have all lost control. only fools think that the dream is centered a pun ones self and not the story the dream wants to tell.

The dream is only A reminder that this is not your world. The dream is only a reminder that this world is but a lucid exception to which you only have a choice to participate. As the dream goes on.

Arrogance is the person who thinks the dream is a place in his sleep that he can see or touch.

to feel this dream is yours is to disqualify all before the knowledge you have had to go into the dream with today.

we are all an instant. and points of reference to ourselves as much to those who visit us in dreams.

To realize the failure of us all not being connected is the true Sin.

The beauty of the matrix is that it is only created and run by the depths of a singular imagination of the whole. If All of us believe one thing is it not real? If one outside of the illusion is to judge us.
is he not right but to grant us what we all desire as an act to please the whole.

We create as we speak, create, Ponder , and strive.

Man is only the sum of his thoughts.
Is this not the reality we are blessed or cursed to accept about us.
The dreamer is us. Awake into what we have created.

RE: Inception - bitbomb - 19-11-2010

On the topic of movies about dreams, I can't believe Paprika hasn't come up yet. If you haven't seen it, do.

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anu2IrsUlVs

RE: Inception - SadPanda91 - 20-11-2010

I just finished Waking Life this morning, and WOW! What an amazing moving. Thanks for suggesting it! I need to let it all soak in now lol. I'm definitely going to check out these other movies.

I really loved one of the first professor's who talks about existentialism.. It is so true. a lot of people now a days talk about how they are a "victim" to life (I find myself doing it too : /). But we are all indeed given this freedom to make our own lives!

Thanks again! I can't wait to check out some more of these movies! : )

RE: Inception - unholy - 21-11-2010

(20-11-2010, 09:19 PM)SadPanda91 Wrote: I just finished Waking Life this morning, and WOW! What an amazing moving. Thanks for suggesting it! I need to let it all soak in now lol. I'm definitely going to check out these other movies.

I really loved one of the first professor's who talks about existentialism.. It is so true. a lot of people now a days talk about how they are a "victim" to life (I find myself doing it too : /). But we are all indeed given this freedom to make our own lives!

Thanks again! I can't wait to check out some more of these movies! : )

There are so many perspectives overlapping, extreme, and logical. All of them spiraling into a realization that the main character is never going to wake up.

RE: Inception - bitbomb - 21-11-2010

I love the cool little Linklater-isms in Waking Life, too. Trains are a major theme in a lot of his films, and the characters from two of his other films "Before Sunrise" and "Before Sunset" have a scene together (Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy).

I love the way Waking Life resembles so many late night conversations with close friends. There were so many familiar ideas, and tons of new ones. One thing I was particularly intrigued by was the conversation about the human collective. I've always felt that, and have experienced a lot that can be evidence to support the idea.

One other movie I just thought of that is VERY Matrix without being cyberpunk is the film adaptation of Nineteen Eighty Four. It's absolutely worth watching if you can find it.