The Matrix Online Server Emulator
Inception - Printable Version

+- The Matrix Online Server Emulator (//mxoemu.info/forum)
+-- Forum: General (//mxoemu.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Offtopic (//mxoemu.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: Inception (/showthread.php?tid=593)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Inception - Villemar - 22-11-2010

(21-11-2010, 11:14 PM)bitbomb Wrote: I love the cool little Linklater-isms in Waking Life, too. Trains are a major theme in a lot of his films, and the characters from two of his other films "Before Sunrise" and "Before Sunset" have a scene together (Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy).

I love the way Waking Life resembles so many late night conversations with close friends. There were so many familiar ideas, and tons of new ones. One thing I was particularly intrigued by was the conversation about the human collective. I've always felt that, and have experienced a lot that can be evidence to support the idea.

One other movie I just thought of that is VERY Matrix without being cyberpunk is the film adaptation of Nineteen Eighty Four. It's absolutely worth watching if you can find it.

Love Linklater. And especially love the conversation Richard Linklater himself has with the main character about Philip K dick, which was a nice segue into his subsequent film "A Scanner Darkly." If you really want to get into the rabbit hole, try getting into Philip K Dick. And, there is an independent film coming out called "Radio Free Albemuth," which is on the festival circut right now. One of my personal favorites, and one of his last works. Dystopian but a good articulation of some of his later unexplained personal gnostic experiences which threw his questioning of reality into hyperdrive towards the end of his life. Somewhat esoteric but very insightful if you want to go down that rabbit hole (and the whole Matrix story is one of classic Gnosticism...ie. "The world around us is False.")

I did like 1984 although for me Terry Gilliam's classic "Brazil" supersedes it because it really does question what is reality, and is in a world of that kind of low-tech, grey, fascistic technology....lots of wires and tubes, heh. And, it did come out in the mid '80's as well.
Also, I got a lot of ideas for movies of this type when after re-watching Waking Life, I went to imdb to look up something and found a great thread on the message boards: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0243017/board/flat/21009780?p=1

It's people listing their top "philosophical" movies and from that I got a lot of great ideas. Although, I mostly bypassed the ones that were not specifically of the mindf&cker/what-is-the-nature-of-reality genre.

RE: Inception - bitbomb - 22-11-2010

I've got to recommend reading William Gibson's "Neuromancer". It's where a lot of what we call cyberpunk comes from. Lots of the Matrix is built on its foundation. Cyberspace is even referred to sometimes as "the matrix." Sex, drugs, and cyberspace. You'll love it.

A few years ago, Chris Cunningham was going to make Neuromancer into a film, with Richard James (Aphex Twin) doing the soundtrack. This would have been spectacular. But unfortunately, the latest is the schmuck that directed "Torque" is making it. I hope it falls through so we can spin the wheel again.
-----------------------------------------------
I just checked up, Vincenzo Natali recently replaced Torque boy to direct Neuromancer. Thank God. This is the guy that did "Cube," which should be added to the list of peripheral material. Characters trapped inside, nobody knows what's going on. It's pretty good, haven't seen that one in at least 10 years.

RE: Inception - unholy - 23-11-2010

I love all these great movies you guys got me watching...... Man this is all like matrix mood stuff.

RE: Inception - KaosDevil - 24-11-2010

I'll be watching this Waking Life tomorrow, sounds very interesting, right up my street Smile

RE: Inception - bitbomb - 25-11-2010

(24-11-2010, 08:40 PM)KaosDevil Wrote: I'll be watching this Waking Life tomorrow, sounds very interesting, right up my street Smile
I cannot recommend it emphatically enough. I can't dig films that do nothing more than entertain, and this one is a rockstar in the department of movies that actually have something to offer. And the music is to die for, and it couldn't be more perfect for the movie. If you're a music person, you'll fall in love. I rank the music up there with the soundtrack to "2046" (2004), which is another film Matrix fans may dig. But a lot of the movies Matrix fans might dig really depend on what exactly you dig about The Matrix.

If you've seen "A Scanner Darkly" (2006) - a spectacular adaptation of the Philip K. Dick novel of the same name - "Waking Life" is its predecessor as far as the animation technique. "A Scanner Darkly" is an essential read, and the movie is among the best adaptations of a book I've ever seen. It's remarkably true to the spirit and feel of the book. Most movies based on books just mangle the original. Of course, a movie isn't a book, and changes need to be made to make the translation work on a completely different medium.

A great example of why adaptation is necessary, as opposed to just filming the book, is the horrible version of "The Shining" (1997) that Stephen King wrote the screenplay for. Kubrick made a great film, Stephen King wasted air time and money. No wonder the only stars they could get were the guy from "Wings" and the annoying little bastard from the grape juice commercials. Adaptation is an art. I have so much respect for people who can pull it off beautifully.

Sorry for the long-winded post. I'm really enjoying this thread, and I talk too damn much.

RE: Inception - Cycles - 26-11-2010

Oke i was out for a bit, but i love the movies that you recommended. I have seen Paprika and all the stuff. Very great..lol..i have to read up on what all you guys have put here Cool