The Matrix Online Server Emulator
Porting Matrix Online Emulator to Wine on Ubuntu Linux - Printable Version

+- The Matrix Online Server Emulator (//mxoemu.info/forum)
+-- Forum: The Matrix Online (//mxoemu.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: MxO General Discussion (//mxoemu.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Porting Matrix Online Emulator to Wine on Ubuntu Linux (/showthread.php?tid=850)

Pages: 1 2 3

Porting Matrix Online Emulator to Wine on Ubuntu Linux - saki - 25-10-2011

Is it possible to run this on Ubuntu with Wine (Microsoft Windows Compatibility Layer)?
Last I tried Civilization IV with expansions. It needed just 3 more dll's in game dir to get it work.
Star Wars Kotor I and II run also (without any extra settings and tweaks).
I'll be glad to help with testing and anything else if you need from Ubuntu Smile

RE: Porting Matrix Online Emulator to Wine on Ubuntu Linux - QuiDormit - 25-10-2011

I'm pretty sure that one of the biggest problems is that MxO uses Internet Explorer in-game, and there's no way to get wine to work with it.

That's not to say it's definitely impossible, but I think it would take a lot of work.

RE: Porting Matrix Online Emulator to Wine on Ubuntu Linux - rajkosto - 25-10-2011

You said Porting "The Matrix Online Emulator" which works almost-perfectly in WINE, but that's not important anyway as i run it natively on my linux servers !
As for the game tho, LOL Y U USE LINUX AS DESKTOP ? Srsly knock that shit off, it doesn't make you elite.
The game uses A LOT of windows components (IEView, tons of MFC in the launcher, DX9 including obsolete things like directsound and directmusic, and pixel shaders 1.x, not the common 2.0/3.0 variety, windows media player for the ingame audio, more IEView for the ingame help/some pages). It wouldn't even do anything when i last tried running it over the latest (now free) version of Cedega

RE: Porting Matrix Online Emulator to Wine on Ubuntu Linux - saki - 25-10-2011

(25-10-2011, 07:27 PM)rajkosto Wrote: You said Porting "The Matrix Online Emulator" which works almost-perfectly in WINE, but that's not important anyway as i run it natively on my linux servers !
As for the game tho, LOL Y U USE LINUX AS DESKTOP ? Srsly knock that shit off, it doesn't make you elite.
The game uses A LOT of windows components (IEView, tons of MFC in the launcher, DX9 including obsolete things like directsound and directmusic, and pixel shaders 1.x, not the common 2.0/3.0 variety, windows media player for the ingame audio, more IEView for the ingame help/some pages). It wouldn't even do anything when i last tried running it over the latest (now free) version of Cedega

I said I played those 3 games without any bugs. Hell why not MxoEmu? Compared to your massive work here, I dont think adding those components is such a problem... or maybe I'm wrong about that?!

Now, you said "works almost-perfectly in WINE".
If I understand correctly, you already tried that?
As for explorer, I'm using it sometimes under wine without any problems.

Is it so strange that I'm using Linux distro as my desktop?! Yes, I'm using it... And I'm using Arch also lol. I have very good reason for it... it's not about making me special Smile Btw, Ubuntu became very comfort for common users as of 11.04 with Unity.
I know that Windows is best for gaming and bla,bla...
Trying to play Windows games on Linux is just exploring and testing possibilities.
Btw we always have a choice. Remember?! Blue pill - red pill, linux - windows... Smile

RE: Porting Matrix Online Emulator to Wine on Ubuntu Linux - rajkosto - 26-10-2011

The emulator binary works fine in linux, both the windows exe under WINE, and natively compiled version
The game does not.
You have a choice, the choice you took does not let you play MXO.
Deal with it.

RE: Porting Matrix Online Emulator to Wine on Ubuntu Linux - saki - 26-10-2011

(26-10-2011, 12:14 AM)rajkosto Wrote: The emulator binary works fine in linux, both the windows exe under WINE, and natively compiled version
The game does not.
You have a choice, the choice you took does not let you play MXO.
Deal with it.
No,no,no... You didn't understand me about choice. When I said choice I meant boot choice lol. You know, sitting with one ass on two chairs, having linux distros and windows on same machine Smile
I can live with that.

RE: Porting Matrix Online Emulator to Wine on Ubuntu Linux - bitbomb - 26-10-2011

Quote:sitting with one ass on two chairs

There's a hefty visual.

RE: Porting Matrix Online Emulator to Wine on Ubuntu Linux - Raccoon - 02-09-2019

(25-10-2011, 07:27 PM)rajkosto Wrote: LOL Y U USE LINUX AS DESKTOP ? Srsly knock that shit off, it doesn't make you elite.

You must really enjoy having pre-installed malware on your computer.

RE: Porting Matrix Online Emulator to Wine on Ubuntu Linux - rajkosto - 03-09-2019

It's 2019 and it's still not the year of Luigi linux desktop. Great for embedded/servers though.
Dunno who pre-installed the malware on your computer but I don't have any.
(cool thread necro, btw)

RE: Porting Matrix Online Emulator to Wine on Ubuntu Linux - Broker - 04-09-2019

Wow. 8 year necro. Gotta be a record on this site. Lol.