The Matrix Online Server Emulator
Brainstorming Ways To Help - Printable Version

+- The Matrix Online Server Emulator (//mxoemu.info/forum)
+-- Forum: The Matrix Online (//mxoemu.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: MxO General Discussion (//mxoemu.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Brainstorming Ways To Help (/showthread.php?tid=996)

Brainstorming Ways To Help - Maligner - 14-07-2012

I've been brainstorming ways to help.

I don't hang out in technical forums but I have been posting some referals in youtube. I know you'll likely get 1000 spacecakes for every person that knows something about coding but you'll likely never get that one person without risking this. I've been pretty diligent about mentioning reading the FAQ before posting, for what little that's worth.

The other thought I had was using Kickstarter. I did a forum search and see no mention of Kickstarter so even though I imagine it's been discussed in private I wanted to kick the can around in the open.

I can think of several reasons why it's probably not a good idea. Since I don't know the details and the devs do, I'm sure someone will say whether there's some kind of trademark or copyright issue to use Kickstarter. Barring legal issues, the only other real issue that pops out at me is Kickstarter's project guidelines.

It would seem a really difficult task to make the entire emulator project a Kickstarter project because you'd have to make specific promises about timelines and features. I was thinking more along the lines of breaking the project into smaller portions.

For example, let's say you wanted to Kickstart a mission system. Any tools required would be budgeted and any outsourcing of work to independent software houses could be included as a cost of the project and a reasonable deadline obtained. The payoff would be that the Kickstarter project would result in a tangible addition to the current emulator which should meet guidelines, save time and trouble and advertise at the same time.

Advertising? Creative people populate the Kickstarter pages and putting a project there, no matter how small, could generate fan and creative programmer interest. This reason alone could be reason enough to give Kickstarter a long look.

One other thing about Kickstarter; I know someone who has used it and it works (Stephen is a long time friend of mine. He's the one on the right).

Also, here's an example of a game that got funded. I think that, in this case, the entire game is funded but it's also got a real team that has bought the rights.

Got it off my chest anyway. Wink

RE: Brainstorming Ways To Help - rajkosto - 14-07-2012

To kickstart, it needs to be:
1) legal
2) an end product users get
3) you need to have a proper pitch/half-baked product/prototype
4) rewards for various tiers of participation

none of these really apply to an emulator project.

RE: Brainstorming Ways To Help - Maligner - 14-07-2012

(14-07-2012, 10:46 PM)rajkosto Wrote: To kickstart, it needs to be:
1) legal
2) an end product users get
3) you need to have a proper pitch/half-baked product/prototype
4) rewards for various tiers of participation

none of these really apply to an emulator project.

The can has been crushed. Big Grin