The Matrix Online Server Emulator

Full Version: Even more story ideas
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Bump.. (almost a year later)

Now that there is a "temp" server almost ready for RP while the "main" server is being worked on I just wonder if a plan is in place yet for how to continue the storyline using the L.E.T based off of comments in this thread from earlier last year.

Are we going to start off where the story ended and somehow blend it into whatever we decide to start with and build on it or are we going to just make something up from scratch for a starting point and build on that?

Does there need to be more discussions on this road block we have or should a poll be started soon on the new forum with several things to vote on so we can move forward to the next step?

Idea for Poll: ( in the new forum )- poll should be open for 30 days.

1) vote: How many story writers (max) should there be? 1, 2, 3 ??
2) vote: Who should decide who can be a event character? (do they need an interview first, references, etc?)
3) vote: How many think we should continue the story where the game left off?
4) vote: How many think we should start from scratch for a storyline?
5) vote: How many think that we shouldn't have a storyline at all?

There are my suggestions & comments. Thanks for reading.
Honestly, this isn't something I'm even ready to approach before we know what kind of load the server can handle, and see what kind of turn out we'll have. I think that will have a lot to do with it.

Personally, I want to see more player character storylines. Not just people bouncing off of what events are happening in the system, but I want the events of the system to be directly influenced by the players. I want to see LET characters interact with players and player storylines once in a while.

I do think, however, that we are in dire need of closure from the story that was going when the rug was pulled out from under us. Then, we can move on. That will probably take a lot of time, and it sucks, because I didn't like the storyline at the end. Still, doesn't mean it can simply be ignored. Otherwise, everyone will have to agree to completely scrap their characters and start fresh. That idea makes me nervous as well.

So, where does that leave us? I'm not sure.

TasteeWheat's server had an internally chosen leader for the LET, and that person, along with others, were the deciders who determined who else would be involved in LET. I don't know if that's the best way or not. It may be best to have one lead who Arcady and I can trust, and then let them handle recruitment / voting / whatever is decided.

As you can imagine, I want to be sure the best people are involved with the LET. Like I said, though, it's just something I'm not quite ready to approach at this time.

Don't let that discourage anyone from discussing it though! I'm always open to new ideas.
Should someone start a thread for discussing this in the new Forum yet or is it too soon for this? If it's too soon I won't bother putting allot of thought into it at this time and put my focus on other Matrix things. Let me know what you guys want to do.....
(09-01-2011, 10:28 PM)mixer242 Wrote: [ -> ]1) vote: How many story writers (max) should there be? 1, 2, 3 ??
2) vote: Who should decide who can be a event character? (do they need an interview first, references, etc?)
3) vote: How many think we should continue the story where the game left off?
4) vote: How many think we should start from scratch for a storyline?
5) vote: How many think that we shouldn't have a storyline at all?

There are my suggestions & comments. Thanks for reading.

1) 1 main writer and 2 'helpers' who help flesh out details, brainstorm ideas and tie loose ends or expose holes in the story. Like editors. The team should be as small as possible to achieve the goal with part time helpers and even per diem helpers. Back seat drivers are a pain in the ass and too many leaders is a recipe for internal bullshit that no one needs.

2) Whoever is running that particular server. Their server, their team, their project, their storyline. We choose to participate or not.

3) Not me.

4) I'd like this.

5) Nah. People can choose to participate, pay attention or consider the storyline or not. As long as those people furthering the storyline enjoy it, they should do it.

That's my 2 cents.
This whole topic makes me nervous......

I hope Im wrong, but I see trouble ahead....
(10-01-2011, 04:53 PM)Sixxth Wrote: [ -> ]This whole topic makes me nervous......

Agreed.

As soon as story is involved, it's almost inevitable that there will be trouble. The only thing I can do is go with the least drama option possible.

That's part of the reason I'm not ready yet.
(10-01-2011, 05:06 PM)QuiDormit Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-01-2011, 04:53 PM)Sixxth Wrote: [ -> ]This whole topic makes me nervous......

Agreed.

As soon as story is involved, it's almost inevitable that there will be trouble. The only thing I can do is go with the least drama option possible.

That's part of the reason I'm not ready yet.

I plan on bucking the drama and enjoying a story if someone is going to present one.
it all sounds great .. i would like to offer my time to help with the story lines as writing /ideas liaison etc etc..

i have some free time so would be cool to help out.

even as a story teller or writer etc.. any involvement would be great

thanks just thought id throw myself in there lol

Q
Folks, this is quoted from another thread from last year that I found interesting and I thought I put it here since I already discussed a few things in this one to try to bring it back to life.

Anyway, the post I'm quoting I agree with for the most part and hopefully spark some renewed interest in this matter. On a side note I have tried asking Rarebit for a suggestion on what we can do and i'm just waiting back on a reply.

Story Development- thread http://mxoemu.info/forum/thread-135.html
Metalogic said: "I know this isn't for a long way off, but I've been thinking about it, and thought I should write down my thoughts and see what y'all think.

I believe that MxO EMU will bring back the Matrix Universe, and while we may not have huge numbers, I do believe the dedicated player base and tight community will return. Anyways, one of the things that will need to be worked on is the storyline. Here are my thoughts on the storyline.

1. I didn't like where Rarebit was heading, I'm sorry but I didn't. Honestly I thought the War Arc was the best arc, and was sadden when it got pushed aside for The Oligarches. I wrote out an alternative to Rarebit's direction, but I can't find it on DN1 at the moment, however it picked up right after the Oligarches left. I forgot what was the last chapter written for the game, 11.3? Anyways, if I have to re-write my notes, I will.

2. We will have to explain the gap between SOE's MxO and MxO EMU. We can't just deny that it happened, that wouldn't feel right. I guess one way to explain the gap is that the machines has blocked all pirate signals to The Matrix while they deal with The Biological Interface Program BIP, and work on a solution to keep The Oligarchy out.

3. We'd also have to write about things happening in the real during that time. The machines and the machinist could do a strike on The Oligarchy hideout, with Cypherites helping. Meanwhile Zion and EPN could sure up their defense system and offense.

4. When MxO EMU comes online, we could start writing a new storyline, and the offline era could be the link between the old and new storyline.

5. Please no more "Villain of The Week". If I was writing the storyline, I'd concentrate more on the interactions between the orgs, and the org's leaders. Also, keep it at a level where about 99% of the storyline is accessible to the player. While things do happen in The Real, The Real should be a minor part because "The Real" is not accessible.

6. Bring back the War Arc.

7. Have more than one writers. One person cannot write the entire storyline, it should be a team effort. "

End quote.

Anyone else want to comment on his post in this thread or use the old one and bring that back from the dead like we did this one? lol
More news at 11....
Hm.

Well, when it comes to storyline, I agree with Cloudwolf, who is the unofficial "know-it-all" in regard to storyline. He knows it inside and out.

http://mxoemu.info/forum/thread-135-post...ml#pid3062

Things were in motion that need to be resolved. It doesn't matter whether or not you like what Rarebit did, because people had RP going on that was directly influenced by the story, as shitty and awful as it was. (Like I said before, I'm not a fan of where it was, but there's not much I can do about it.)

The story NEEDS to be closed.

Also, if you want to talk story threads, this is the most recent overly discussed and ridiculously crazy thread that got way out of control or something like that.

http://mxo.hardlinedreams.com/forum/show...hp?tid=367

EDITED TO ADD: Again, we don't know how the storyline is going to be handled. We also don't know when. Keep that in mind.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5